Dropping your gadget in water is a common problem. This page gives guidance about the best way to save its life.
Large numbers of gadgets end their life in water. Even if only for a few moments, this can do irreparable damage. To summarise, your priorities should be:
- Quickly remove what water you can with a towel or whatever else is to hand.
- If the water may have got into openings such as the charging or headphone sockets, vigorously shake it out.
- If the device still seems to be working to any extent, switch it off. If you possibly can, remove the battery.
- Place it in a warm dry place such as an airing cupboard for 24 or 48 hours.
Speed is of the essence.
Note that placing your gadget in rice is about the worst thing you can do. Couscous is said to be marginally better but a warm dry place is far better.
- If a mains-powered device gets wet INPLUG IT IMMEDIATELY! If the plug or your hands are wet, switch off the power by whatever means you can. Mains electricity and water can be a LETHAL combination!
- External links (if any) as bullet points.
- If non, delete this section.